Sunday, August 24, 2008

Christmas?!?

Don't ask me why, but I've been thinking about Christmas lately. Actually, I bought two Christmas records from the thrift store and have listened to a Christmas CD twice this past week… weird. I've been thinking of the gift we were all given at Christmas. The Ultimate Gift… not the movie. Redemption from sins, past, present, future. Nothing can take away this gift. Some of us have taken it with open arms, others have looked at it and placed it in a corner, some of us have thrown it away.

The last two groups are the ones I'm going to address; the people who look and put it away and those who look and throw it away. The former look at redemption and say, "Hey, look! Redemption… that might come in handy some day; I'll put it in the back of my head in case I get arrested or something like that. Maybe I'll get it out the day I die when I'm lying in bed and can't really breathe…" That's the wrong idea.

The latter would think, "Uh, redemption. Who needs that? All they do in heaven is sing and sit on clouds. Sorry. Not my style. That wouldn't ever happen. God just isn't for me." Uh, that's wrong people! There are tons of amazing things to do in heaven. Singing is just one of them. Maybe you won't have to sing but you'll want to, to praise God for the redemption he'd sent you while you were still on earth.

Did you know that people believe that they are basically good? You probably did. You know, sometimes I think, "why is this happening to me? Just what I needed? God, I haven't argued with Tyler all morning. Why did you send this? I've been basically good." And that's just pride that creeps in and says, "You're better than this. You don't deserve this. It's unfair and unjust. God shouldn't do this to you! You haven't argued all morning…" I'm getting off track though. The main thing is: People are not basically good. They are, not basically, but all bad. Until Christ came and died for us, then all our sins were washed away. Have you ever washed a car with just layers after layers of dirt on it? Just one wipe of the sponge takes it all off, then to supplement that you rinse it all off for good. Until you go to drive it. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about getting dirt again. God's blood was sufficient. Sufficient. For everything. That's it. We don't need anything else. We can do NOTHING to add to our salvation. We are not any better for what we do or don't do.

So… what do you think? Which group are you in? Do you greet this amazing gift with open arms or are you in the middle group? Or the latter? Do you look at Christ and say, "not now… go away, I'm busy." Or say, "leave. I don't want you." Past circumstances could affect your response to Christ. Maybe one of your parents has passed away and you don't trust God's sovereignty. Anything could have happened. Maybe you just make excuses so that you won't have to deal with that "Christian stuff" Which category are you in? Do you ever think of the gift we've been given?

I want to present you with a clear picture of the gospel. Have you ever thought of losing a sibling or parent? First you probably though, "Yes! I get the whole (house, bathroom, play station etc.) to myself" (you fill in the blank) Then you (hopefully) thought of how very sad you would be at losing someone you love so much. Well, God had it worse. He had one son and sent him here to die. Sent him into an imperfect world. Not only that but he turned his face away from him and freely poured his wrath out on one perfect man. The only perfect man to walk the earth. The only person who didn't deserve any punishment got it all. He killed his son to save your soul... to bring you to heaven with Him. And we ungratefully shun his glorious gift and go in our own direction. How did that happen? I'm going to leave you with this. And don't just skim over it. Read it. There is no song better than this to describe the greatest gift.


Amazing Grace how sweet the sound

That saved a wretch like me

I once was lost but now I'm found

Was blind but now I see

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear

and grace my fears relieved

how precious did that grace appear

the hour i first believed

No comments: