Monday, August 11, 2008

Common Courtesy (although it isn't so common)

Common courtesy. Not something you hear everyday. And I'm afraid it isn't very common. Nevertheless, it is something we should do every day.

What is common courtesy?

A definition found on my journeys through the world wide web would provide that courtesy is excellence of manners or social conduct; polite behavior, a courteous, respectful, or considerate act or expression, a favor, some help or generosity.

In other words, courtesy is being nice to people. It can be as mundane as carrying groceries into the house for your mom or shutting your door when you start to jam out on your music. Anything you can do to help someone is common courtesy. Guys, open the door for your mom, sisters, brothers and friends. What ever you deem possible for you to do, you should do for others.

How often do you see a guy open the car door for a girl? Not much. In the 1920's all the way through to the 1950's it was considered rude if a man didn't open the door. What do we see today? Lots of discourteous-ness (is that a word?) It means showing rudeness and lack of consideration for other people.


It isn't all the guys fault though... women have shunned men for opening the doors. They want their independence. Feminists have declared that they "don't need the help of men. [they] can get on just as well without." You know, I don't mind opening my own door or finding my own chair. It doesn't matter to me. That isn't hard to do. I care about the thought that goes into it. It just shows care when you offer. You know, guys, that when you offer a girl your chair, there's a 90% chance that she won't take it? Honestly, we aren't going to demand that you give up your chair so that we can have a seat. There is no reason for that. But when you see people that you know or don't then help them out.

Have you ever been helped by someone and thought, "that was weird, they were so nice and I didn't have to ask them or anything"?

Have you ever had the opportunity to help someone but didn't take advantage of it because of whatever reason?

There are a few guys I know that really excel in this area of courtesy and it blesses me and I'm sure it blesses others by their kindness and consideration. I hope we can rise above and beyond the low expectations of this weary world and serve others with a cheerful heart.






By the way, discourteousness is a word... I looked it up in my dictionary. :)

No comments: