We forget a lot of things. Things like why we walked into the living room, what happened on our third birthday and how many books we read last month. We also forget things like chivalry, honesty, diligence, encouragement, selflessness and integrity. Integrity is what I'm going to be focusing on. Let's start with a definition. Integrity is doing what is right when no one is watching. Integrity is necessary everyday in some way, shape or form.I'm finding that the hardest things to have integrity in are music, television, and computers. It's very easy to forget integrity in these moments of temptation; I'm just going to focus on music for today though.
Music is easy to get and easy to listen to. My first point on musical integrity is that we shouldn't steal music, which may seem obvious, but we've all done it in some way. I've done it by getting cds from the library and from my friends and just sticking them into my computer without a second thought. Now, I stop and think, "Oh yeah! That's breaking the law!"
My second point is that we can listen to music without our parents knowing that we are. Different internet programs help us with that, along with ipods and other things. So, when no one's watching our playlists, what do we listen to? Is it wholesome? Is it helping us? Is it making us dissatisfied with our life? What are the artists telling us? I'm not saying we all need to walk around listening to "Open the Eyes of My Heart"; secular music is fine to listen to in moderation and with parental permission and oversight. (Any amount of secular music that curses God or glorifies sin is NOT a good thing... even in moderation.) I listen to some great secular music, but it doesn't make up my entire "Musical Diet"... do you understand what I'm trying to say? I'm sorry if I seem scattered. :)
What are your thoughts?
5 comments:
Very well said. I don't know how many times I have been convicted on my music choices, whether it's in church from a sermon or reading this post :). Thanks Kaylee!
WOW dude! you are SO fast!!! hahaha, I just posted this like, 15 minutes ago! LOL... thanks!
Haha yeah I didn't even realize that, I just checked mine and I saw that you had posted :P.
wow those are definitely some hard-core questions. I have to deal with these situations all the time. questions like: is it wrong to listen to "ok" songs from a "not ok artist"? Same thing with movies; is it o.k. for a christian to watch a movie with some bad stuff in it and to just ignore those parts?
hard stuff.
Then on top of all that, you've got the fact that some things are O.K. for some people and not for others.
I know that God gives each person their own personal convictions, but I guess its just hard for me to understand how some things are right for some people and not for others. Hard stuff, but good stuff. stuff we should be thinking and praying about. Thanks for posting!
Great post...definitely something to think about. God's been revealing this fact to me: 'Our sole purpose in this earth is glorify God.' So, it's okay if we live our lives and don't watch every movie ever released or listen to every CD in the music stores. Living out our lives for God is priority; movies and CD are just a added thing in our lives.
Post a Comment