Monday, February 22, 2010

Housework.

Thursday was mopping day. I woke up with two thoughts. One, I had to mop. And two, how the heck did I get nine hours of sleep and still feel so tired?
So, I dragged myself out of bed and did school for an hour. Then I found something to eat. Then I looked at my school again and decided that mopping was preferred over Geometry.


Therefore, I got my mopping paraphernalia out. (i.e. my flannel plaid shirt to wear with my ripped up jeans, my blue bucket, my junky rags, etc.)








I then proceeded to assess the situation. 5 rooms to mop. 1 Kitchen, 2 bedrooms, 2 hallways and a laundry room. This was my mission.


The term "grin and bear it" came in to action as I cranked some tunes and began my task.


Now some background to why I dislike mopping so much.

First off, it's rather boring and there's quite a bit of it.

Second, I'm lazy and don't like to work.
(I'd much rather read a book or watch a movie or play some sort of music, which is really selfish of me and that's why I must make myself do the mopping.)

Third, my father dutifully installed all of the tile in the kitchen when we first moved into this house eight years ago. Being a Pastor and not a carpenter/handy-man/craftsman kind of person he did his best. But the tile is uneven which results in my hands and knees getting scraped and sore. (As to the real reason my hands and knees get scraped and sore is to be told in reason number four. Which you will get to read in 3, 2, 1... now.)

Fourth and finally, we do not and have never owned a decent mop in all of our eight years inhabiting this house. It's true. Maybe I'm just picky, but I do not like the sponge mops or the stringy-spaghetti mops or the shark mop. So, since I'm the one who does the mopping, mom eventually said that she would no longer look for mops (since we owned three) and that I could use one of those or do it on my hands and knees. Therefore, that has become my chosen method.

I do believe this has become a quite random (and stupid) post but I was wondering:
What kind of housework do you have to do at home?
Do you have a list of chores that you have to finish each week?
Or does your mom just tell you what to do as you go along?
What's your favorite and least favorite chore to do?

I'll leave a list of what I have to do in the comments box and you can do the same, if you like.

Much love,

-K

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Every day:
-Laundry
-Clean living room
-Clean bedroom
-Clean up after dinner

Weekly:
Windex: backsplash, refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, microwave, freezer, washer, dryer, front door, mirrors, faucets, bathroom counters, kitchen counters, car windows
Mop: kitchen, foyers, bathrooms, bedrooms, laundry room, porch floor
Vacuum: mom's van, downstairs, bedrooms, the stairs, porch carpet and tile, pantry floor
Dust: kitchen shelves, family room, bedroom, master bedroom, computer desk, piano, foyer tables
Outside: weed front flower beds and around the pool deck

Just to let you all know, I'm not complaining about my work or family stuff or anything like that! I just want to know what you guys do! :)
<3, K

Mariah said...

You listened to country music while you mopped? No wonder you hated it so much! ;)

Every day it's my job to dump, wash, dry, fold, and put away the laundry. Jesse loads and unloads the dishwasher. Besides from that, we don't really have a set list of chores-we just do whatever needs to get done that day.

My favorite chore would probably be either folding the laundry or cleaning my room. Both ways, I can listen to music and/or sing!!

My least favorite chore would be vaccuuming. Probably because it takes awhile...I'm lazy too!! It's not that bad, though; I used to HATE vaccuuming the house, and now it's not as bad. :)

Becca said...

dude you are trying to hard to prove it

Becca said...

dude you are trying to hard to prove it

Kaybs said...

Wow Cinderella, you have lots of chores :P

Well, Jonathan and I kinda split the chores.. This is what I do:
I have my "kitchen days" Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Basically, I unload/load the dishwasher, sweep, clean the table, and clean whatever is dirty.
Tuesday I have the Kitchen and I clean the bathroom.
Wednesday I clean my room (which usually never gets done cause of lots of school)
Thursday Kitchen, and I clean the birdcage.
Friday, I clean the wood floors.

Outside, I empty the skimmer everyday and vaccuum the pool whenever its dirty... which is all the time.
Whenever My mom says to weed outside is when we do it...

And yeah, thats it. :)

Carly said...

Ok, so personally I LOOOVVVVEE to clean and organize other people's houses. About once every week I go over to our neighbor's house and clean the entire house(haha! When I'm done it looks like I've just run a marathon!). But when it comes down to chores at our house I have to do:

Monday: Brush dog, sort laundry (every other Monday), set table for dinner.
Tuesday: Brush dog, Empty all garbage cans, set table.
Wednesday: Brush dog, Vacumm all tile (everything except bedrooms), set table.
Thursday: Brush dog, Clean glass doors and/or glass tables, set table.
Friday: Brush dog, Clean Bathroom, set table.

So yeah. My chores really aren't that bad at home. =) And of course I have to make sure I make my bed and keep my room pretty clean everyday sooo yeah! I can't imagine mopping all your house with rags!! Craziness! You're amazing! haha!

Ian Taylor said...

Wow, wow wow wow wow! (Say that with an accent) lol.

I have both chores that are assigned and ones that my mom assigns to me at random...then there is the stuff I just do because I am OCD lol.

I clean the bathroom every week
Dishes
Floors like every other day
dusting when my mom tells me to
I know there is more, but I can't think right now...I know how you feel about not having a mop though..we haven't had one either haha

Sidney said...

Poor Kaylee!!!!!!!
hahahaha just kidding that did sound rather brutal ;)
It's funny, mopping is actually one of my favorite chores of all time. For one reason: It's satisfying, well at least for me.
I hate doing DISHES!!!!!!
Everything else I can pretty much handle.

Sidney said...

P.S. I love that little Kiwi.

Jean Marie said...

Dear Kaylee...darling little thing ...
Today I mopped floors. And I thought of you. And I played some Country and some Dobro music and some Beach boys records. And I thought of you some more. And now I'm going to bake some chocolate muffins. And I will probably continue to think of you, because yesterday I was weeding around a pool deck. And because I will be baking. And while I will be baking, I will be playing more music. And so I will continue to think of you. The end. <3 Have a glorious day!!
~ Jean Marie <3 <3 <3