Saturday, February 06, 2010

Nursery Rhymes and Lullabies

Has anyone noticed how weird the nursery rhymes and lullabies were way back when? I'll list a few...

  • Ring Around the Rosie, pocket full of poesy, ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
    • Basically this was about the Bubonic Plague. The first symptom was a pink-ish bump on your arm with a red ring around it... they carried flowers to make their decaying bodies smell better... and then they would burn all the dead people to kill the plague... and then they'd die. Okay, if that's not depressing, I don't know what is.
  • Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, your children are gone. All except one, her name is Nan. She crawled under a frying pan.
    • Okay, so this ladybug mother was out one day and some one came and told her her house was on fire and all her babybug kids died. Um, that's really sad.
  • One person said this, "My mom used to read me "Hansel and Gretel" A relaxing little tale about two children who are abandoned by their parents and fall into the clutches of a cannibalistic serial killer who lures her prey in with sweet treats, then imprisons them, cooks them alive, and eats them. Nice. For many years when I heard the Ice Cream Man coming I would run and hide under my bed."
    • I'm sorry but this kinda made me laugh. I loved the Brothers Grimm. They were pretty cool in my eyes.
  • Rock-a-bye baby, in the tree top, when the wind blows the cradle will rock, when the bough breaks the cradle will fall, and down will come baby, cradle and all.
    • First. Who, in their right mind, sticks their kid in a tree? Hello!?!?! Wake up! Then the tree breaks because there's strong winds outside. EXCUSE ME? Yes, the tree BREAKS. Then the baby's cradle falls out of the tree with the poor innocent kid inside. Assuming this is a rather tall tree... the kid breaks his neck and lives with an intense fear of trees and wind for the rest of his life. #1 example of bad parenting.
  • Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put Humpty together again.
    • Alright. Who named the egg Humpty Dumpty? Poor guy, he probably has some sort of name complex. Then he falls and no one can put him together so he dies. On the side of the road. Watching the horses and men ride of into the distance.
  • Jack and Jill when up the hill to coast with fun and laughter. Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.
    • I actually read a book about Jack and Jill. It was way more drastic than this makes it sound. Jack fell down the hill and seriously injured his head, almost having severe brain damage. And poor Jill breaks her back and is almost paralyzed and has to spend over a year lying around in bed. That's a little more than a "tumble".
There's also that prayer we used to say...
  • Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
    • Does that scare anyone else? I mean, I don't want to go to sleep after praying about death, but maybe that's just me.

And I just have one more problem. The Barney song. Hang on...
  • I love you, you love me, we're a happy family with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you, won't you say you love me too?
    • WAIT! This giant purple dinosaur is singing love songs to me!! That should be a red flag, ya'll.
Alright. I'm done ranting and raving now. What do you think? :)

11 comments:

Mariah said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! These are so funny!! Wow, it's amazing we all lived through our childhood. :)

The Hansel and Gretel one was hilarious!! HAHAAAA!! :)

But hey, Barney is still great. Even if he does sing that creepy song at the end...:)

Ian Taylor said...

Flippen hilarious! I wish I could read stuff like this for my college English course! lol

Unknown said...

Hahaha! Yeah, that would be an improvement! LOL

Carly said...

HAHAHA!! Whenever I hear the prayer one I always think of the Tim Hawkins Bedtime Story video. Have you ever watched it? I was pretty much laughing my head off. =P (btw. Where did the phrase "Laughing my head off" come from? If you ask me, I'd say that's pretty gruesome. haha!) ok yeahh..

Kaybs said...

LOL!!! I feel the same way about nursery rhymes... they are creepy...

Unknown said...

Haha I love the Tim Hawkins thing on that!! LOL And yes, it's gotta be pretty nasty to "laugh your head off" :P

Mariah said...

Hey, I just found this in my history textbook...

"According to many traditional accounts, some of the most familiar Mother Goose rhymes were written during the Reformation Era. Childhood verse such as "Jack and Jill", "Little Boy Blue", and "Little Jack Horner" were probably penned during this period. Since it was not safe at this time to be openly critical of government or church officials, rhymes were a convenient way of poking fun at those in authority. For example, "Little Miss Muffet" satirizes the relationship between John Knox and Mary Stuart:

"Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet, eating her curds and whey; there came a big spider, and sat down besides her, and frightened Miss Muffet away."

Miss Muffet is mary Stuart, who at the age of eighteen sat down as queen upon the throne of Scotland. At first Mary enjoyed herself, but before long the reformer John Knox "sat down beside her." Knox publicly condemned her scandalous behavior and her Roman Catholic beliefs. In addition, he had several discussions with her. Political problems finally forced Mary to flee Scotland and take refuge in Englad with her cousin, Queen Elizabeth. In the popular mind, however, it was John Knox who had frightened the young queen away.

Another familiar mursery rhyme is "Three Blind Mice":

"Three blind mice, see how they run! They all ran after the farmer's wife, who cut off their tails with a carving knife, did you ever see such a sight in your life, as three blind mice?"

In this rhyme, "the farmer's wife" is Mary I, the Roman Catholic queen of Tudor England. The "three blind mice" are the churchmen Cranmer, Ridley, andn Latimer, who tried to prevent Mary from reinstating Roman Catholicism in England. In response to their efforts, Mary "cut off their tails"-she had the men arrested and executed."

So, historically, these were some pretty weird (but clever!) nursery rhymes!! :)

Unknown said...

That's so ironic that this was in your history book Today! Haha!
They were really creative though. I never would have guessed. :)

Mariah said...

Actually, I didn't just read it today, I remembered it from a couple weeks ago. I can't believe you read the whole thing!! I thought that the comment wasn't going to be able to publish because it was so long!! Glad you enjoyed it, though. :)

Sidney said...

Haha
Good point: Who does in their right mind stick their kid in a tree....

Becca said...

you think to much... :P