Recently I've been thinking about my music choices. Are they good? Are they edifying? And so on. So I downloaded and listened to a message while I was running. It's by Bob Kauflin, titled Listening to Music for the God's Glory. Let me just say, it is amazing and I highly encourage you to listen to it.
Bob Kauflin uses this illustration: you all know the story of the trojan horse. The trojans brought a huge wooden horse full of soldiers to their enemies' gates and left it there. The enemies took the horse inside the castle walls and left it overnight. That night the soldiers came out and attacked the city from the inside. Music is like a trojan horse. It comes happily but it can destroy us from within.
He makes the point that (I'm paraphrasing here) music is rhythm, melody, and harmonies. So music isn't in itself, bad. There can be christian artists who write terrible music and there can be secular artists that write beautiful music.
He also says that our lives are not movies so we don't have to have music playing all the time. He encourages us to turn off our ipods and spend time thinking and praying and just living our lives, without music.
Finally, he says that secular music isn't bad... in moderation. If we spend all of our time listening to secular music then we will struggle.
I just wanted to ask: do you think your music is good? do you think it is edifying your soul? is it affecting your walk with god? even though you "don't listen to the lyrics" do you think that the music is so necessary that you have to listen to it, even if the lyrics aren't good?
Thanks for reading! :)
<3, K
2 comments:
Thanks for posting...this is great stuff! I'll have to listen to Mr. Kauflin's message soon!
Thank you for posting this! :)
Post a Comment