Sunday, August 31, 2008

Why Notes?

Do you take notes in church? You should. I believe that taking notes is a good way to be able to look back on the message in care group or family discussions and be able to remember what was taught. 95% of the time I take notes. Sometimes, I don't have a notebook, pen or bible and I go crazy! I hate not being able to remember things. At times, I will write down questions to ask my mom and dad about or things to look up that relate to the message. For those of you who don't take notes in church, here is a rough outline... I'm going to use the Sunday, August 24th Message.

[Date] August 24, 2008 

Getting Even [So this would be where you put the title]

Tim Merwin [Pastor's Name]

Matthew 5:38-42 [Text]

[Normally you can just follow the power point on the big screen and they will give you all the points for your notes.]

How do I respond when I am sinned against?

When sinned against, it does not have to rule our world or throw us into anger and revenge.  We belong to a greater Kingdom.  God’s Kingdom.

I.                The Law

Lex Talionis

1.      Justice

2.      Mercy

3.      Social Benefit

II.               The Pharisee

III.              The Savior

What He Is NOT Teaching:

1.      He is not teaching us to be a doormat

2.      He is not teaching “conscientious objector” 

For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Romans 13:3-4 (ESV)

3.      He is not telling us to look the other way

“To lower God’s standard of justice is to lower God’s standard of righteousness – which Jesus came to fulfill and clarify, not to obviate or diminish.”  John McArthur

4.      He is not teaching us to make this into some legalistic law

What He IS Teaching

1.      An Attack On Our Dignity 

For what credit is it if, when you sin and are beaten for it, you endure? But if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God. 21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. 22  He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. 23  When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly.

1 Peter 2:20-23 (ESV)

2.      An Attack On Our Possessions

3.      An Attack On Our Liberty

4.      An Attack On Our Money

“The only person who is non – defensive, non vengeful, never bears a grudge, and has no spite in his heart is the person who has died to self.  To fight for ones rights is to prove that self is still on the throne of his heart.  The believer who is faithful to Christ lives for Him and if necessary, dies for Him.  It is impossible to live for self and for Christ at the same time”  John McArthur

IV.            The Believer Today


Most of the time you can't get all of this down, but having it helps us to remember what it was all about. I would ask you this question: Do you take notes? Why or why not?

I would encourage you to do hard things and take really good notes. Sometimes I doodle when I take notes and draw little pictures of octopus and leaves but I've been told that, that is distracting to others around me. So I try to resist drawing and try to focus on what the pastor is trying to tell me. (in other words... what my dad is talkin' about)

1 comment:

Rayna said...

Kaylee! How are you honey?!
I just found your blog!

And I totally agree with you about taking notes in church, it is so helpful to stay focused during the message and to review after wards!
:)
It was great to see you at bring on the bands! <3