Monday, September 08, 2008

Breaking Habits...

Hey there… sorry I haven't posted in a while… we've been kinda busy.

So. I was talking to someone recently and he told me that he was trying to break the habit of saying "dude" all the time. Do you realize that we say things like "um" and "like" in between just about every other word. I mean… it's crazy… I've been talking to people before and they talk like this, "yeah, so, like, it was totally, um, crazy. We, like, had such a great time, like we did this and, um, like, that thing and, like, we played that game 'have you ever', um, and 'killer'. It was, like, really fun…" Uh, yeah. That's enough of that. I say it all the time too, actually. It's interesting how hard it is to actually think about what you are saying before you say it. So many things just slip out of my mouth. Ya know? The person that wanted to stop saying, "dude" kept saying it at the beginning of every sentence. He's working on it though! I heard it takes 21 days to create a habit. How many days does it take to break it though? I think it depends on the habit. If it is something addictive or repetitive like drugs or saying things such as "dude" it will most likely take a long time to break. Yet, habits like reading your bible or doing your school are so easy to break. Have you ever found it hard to break the habit of doing school when summer starts? Duh, no. What about reading your bible when you go on vacation? There are so many other distractions when vacations happen that it is very easy to forget about the most important thing of the day and begin to focus on what's for breakfast and the day's itinerary.

 

Okay… it's "Definition Time":

Bad Habit – A negative behavior pattern. Common examples would be procrastination, overspending, nail biting, spending too much time watching television or on the computer.

Habit – an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it becomes almost involuntary.

 

Often our behavior patterns can be harmless; but sometimes it is harmful to us. Spending too much time in front of the television, computer or video games is harmful to our minds. The things we see and hear on our electronics are often corrupt with the cultural norm. Everything I see on TV says, "Make yourself, your house and your flea-bitten dog better by doing this stuff..." Everything is always about our ease and our comfort, which is great… I'm totally for ease and comfort… But when we get to consumed with our ease and comfort and start to neglect our responsibility, that's when the trouble starts.

Did you know that television was and is characterized as a mindless occupation and a time waster? I can vouch for that. I spent the last four days of my life wasting time and getting virtually nothing done, but I had a great time hanging out with my grandma.

 

I don't know… maybe I'm getting way of subject… So! Here are your questions for today:

1.    Would TV, Computer or Video Games rule your life? Would you find yourself wanting them more than other things?

2.    Do you have habits you need to break, but just can't find out how? What would they be?

3.    Do you often neglect your God-given responsibility just so you can watch the next episode of who-knows-what or play the next level of that-one-game?

Just one more note before I sign off… I have always wanted responsibility and wanted to be treated like I wasn't a kid. Once I turned 13 I got the responsibilities of more chores, babysitting my brothers, piano lessons, helping in childcare, talking in care group, keeping up with school… Then a year lapsed by and now I'm 14 (where did time go? really?) and I've gotten more responsibilities, such as keeping up with school (again) doing more chores (again) babysitting more kids, making dinners, playing instruments, making decisions (something I really hate to do) making clothes, and playing in two bands. Now. Some of these things are amazingly boring and frustrating while some of them I find immense pleasure in and thoroughly enjoy. They both are responsibilities and they are all blessings. I find it hard to find joy in the hard things and very easy to find happiness in the others. That is because one is easy and one is hard for me. So, I'll ask you again… Do you often neglect your God-given responsibility just so you can indulge yourself in the television or video games or computer?

 

Thanks so much for reading; and don't forget to email me atgodordains@gmail.com with answers to the questions… also, don't forget to vote on the side bar on the right… I want your input!!!

 

-Kaylee





No comments: