Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Addiction

addicted - physically and mentally dependent on a particular thing, and unable to stop having it without incurring adverse effects.

addict - an enthusiastic devotee of a specific thing or activity

I am addicted to Christ. Physically and mentally dependent on him. Unable to stop having him without incurring adverse effects. Absolutely an enthusiastic devotee of Jesus, my first Love and Savior.

What are you addicted to? Would it be video/computer games? A television show/series? Books or a series? Anything that you would desire more than Jesus would be an idol.
Just a note: All the posts would be subjects that I would not be perfect in. (Obviously) Just don't want you to think that I'm being a hypocrite... okay, back to the article.

Ahem. Yeah. What are you addicted to? I definitely was "addicted" to books before High School started. Then I had to switch my focus to getting good grades and keeping my GPA up for scholarships. I would have read anywhere from 100 to 500 pages a day. Around 2 books a day. One in the afternoon and one at night. I know, I'm a nerd. I would still read that much if I could. I absolutely adore books. I don't know what I would do without them. Somedays I do indulge in a great book but I try to focus on my relationship with my family instead of my relationship with Nancy Drew, Frodo Baggins, and the Pevensies. I could have told you more about Nancy Drew than my brothers. Don't get me wrong; I still love my imaginary friends but I love my family more. My actual relationships are more important than my imaginary ones. Books, Video Games and Television have to take a back seat. I would have struggled with giving up my books for a while.

Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods... I am the Lord your God.
-Leviticus 19:4
I hate those who pay regard to worthless idols, but I trust in the Lord.
-Psalm 31:6

I hope this gave you something to think about. Thanks for reading.

-Kaylee

No comments: