Sunday, November 09, 2008

Delirious from Debt


       Well, most of you know that I have an amazingly wonderful Apple Mac computer. I saved my monies for ever, and finally had around $1,200 to buy my computer. After jumping through all the hoops to get this Mac, my grand total was $2,000. My parents "donated" $400 for it. We bought it and decided that I would just pay them back gradually... I was $400 in debt. It may seem trivial and insignificant - but it's $400 I didn't have to spend.
When I first got my job I would go shopping and do all this fun stuff and even when I was saving up, I would buy something here and there and just "Charge it, please" to my account. When I bought Jenkins (for thus we christened it) I didn't realize that debt was the worst thing that could happen to me, financially. I had to buy Jenkins in August because of school, so I didn't have too many options, but if I could have had more time to save I totally would have.
        I did some research and saw that in 2007, America was $53,000,000,000 (that's trillion) in debt. That's $175,154 per man, woman and child. This is just the statistics. I can't imagine having $175,154 in debt... (or in my bank account for that matter!) Can you?
        This debt (my insignificant $400) was and is weighing me down and limiting my life. I felt guilty if I bought some new clothes, cds, movies, shoes or whatever. If it cost more than $5, it was too expensive. Right now I'm right under $150 in debt and cannot wait to be out of it!
I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it!
But there is hope! I've been saving up and counting down the days until I am completely debt free. On New Year's Day I will have exactly ZERO dollars. I'll be in the black! Oh, YES! (If you haven't noticed, this is a big deal) I'll be out of it! I'll be able to spend money by February! Boyaaaah!
Anyway - I've written this whole article to tell you: If at all possible, STAY OUT OF DEBT. It's annoying, limiting, exasperating, discouraging, disabling and all that bad stuff.
Proverbs 22:7 - The rich rules over the poor,
and the borrower is the slave of the lender.

No comments: