Earlier this year I wrote about habits and I just wanted to ask you all to remind me of these…
- Make it
o Read my bible more often – I want to have more time with God, but so often my “lower class” priorities (like school, music or reading) become “first class” priorities and my devotions get bumped down to “lower class” priorities.
o Pray more often – Same as above…
o Go out of my comfort zone – like playing certain games, sharing in group settings (like care group…) or talking to people about the ways I struggle.
- Break it
o Crossing my arms… I’ve heard that some people find this unapproachable or like you’re always angry or closed off, which is not the image I’m going for... J I always want to be approachable and I’m not angry at you or closed off
o Being selfish… It’s a sin more than a habit, but anyway… Unfortunately, I'm really good at being selfish.
o Saying things like “holy cow”… trivial though it seems, these little things make a difference in your attitude. My dad recently asked that I try not to say it, so I looked it up in my handy-dandy dictionary and it said:
§ Holy – dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred
§ Cow – large ruminant animal with horns and cloven hoofs
So, this means that this animal with horns and hoofs is dedicated and consecrated to God. This is like saying “Sacred Bovine!” I think the only time you could say that is if you lived in the time of the Old Testament, when they offered up calves as sacrifices to God in repentance for their sins; then that is a holy cow.

3 comments:
Hey Kaylee,
Thanks for being so open and honest about these! I definitely struggle with some of those, too. And I'd never really stopped to think about the "holy cow" thing. I say stuff like that a lot without really thinking about it, but you're right; it would be better not to say it at all. And you're definitely welcome to help me out if you catch me doing it. Thank you for your example!
I appreciate your humbleness to admit these things on your blog. I think it's good to choose our words wisely...they are a gift from God. There's some words I need to delete from my vocab. One is a word I always say wrong anyway. I get made fun of all the time. It's "gosh" but I pronounce it "garsh". It sounds right to me but not to others. Anyway, I can certainly do without it! Oh by the way...highlight and click on this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_47JVrBX8lQg/SUgagjg8CqI/AAAAAAAAAVA/J25qC-3Paxs/s1600-h/thholycowicon.jpg Thought you'd like to see what a holy cow looked like! :) Cindy
Thanks Kaylee for sharing this, it takes a lot of humility! I definitely want to refine my vocabulary as well! I'll be praying for God to give us all strength to break habits that aren't pleasing to Him!
Love ya girl,
Katelyn
Post a Comment